When a Good Boy Goes Bad By Chelsea Maya Johnson
The engine of the generator outside the window thrummed a low, vibrating note that seemed to settle right behind my eyes. I wrung out the last of the white shirts, snapping the fabric hard before pinning it to the line in the small compound. Same routine. Every single week. I did his chores. I did his laundry. I made sure the creases on his jeans were sharp, scrubbing at the stubborn dirt spots near the hems until my knuckles were raw. I did it all because I thought that’s what you do when you love someone. That’s what a good boy does.
But by the time the last shirt was hanging, the silence in the flat was too loud. My head was buzzing, a restless, angry energy scratching at the inside of my skull. My body didn't want peace anymore; it wanted noise. It wanted something loud enough to drown out the sound of my own waiting.
I dressed up, pulling on a fitted, freaky dress I’d bought but never had the courage to wear. I left the house and headed straight for the club at Enerhe Junction. I just wanted to have some fun. I wanted to feel something - anything - other than empty.
------------------------------
The bass inside the club was a physical wall of sound, but outside, near the brightly lit junction, the air was thick with exhaust fumes, the smell of roasted meat, and the chatter of nighttime Warri. I kept looking down at my phone. The screen remained dark. No calls. No WhatsApp notifications.
We had an appointment. We were supposed to meet out here at Enerhe, to finally spend a night together that didn't involve me sitting on the edge of his bed while he scrolled through his phone. But Efe wasn't showing up.
I stood near the entrance, holding a sweating bottle of drink, trying to look like I belonged there. I wasn't looking for trouble. I wasn’t looking for anything or anyone except the very person who had told me to wait for him right here.
"OS? How much for a night? I would like to take you to the tele."
The voice broke my trance. I looked up. A guy was standing a few inches away, looking me up and down with a slow, calculating smile, like he already knew my price before I could even speak. OS. One-Night Stand. The tele. A hotel room. Straight to the point. No pretending, no long talking. That’s how it works out here in the wild nights of Delta State. One drink, a few bold words, and someone is ready to take you home.
"Not interested," I said flatly, keeping my voice even.
He didn't back off. He shifted his weight, taking a sip from his own cup. "You're with someone?"
"Yes," I replied quickly. "I'm waiting for him."
The guy looked around the crowded junction, his smile turning amused. "Where is the someone?"
"He had another party to go to," I lied, trying to protect Efe’s name even while my chest burned. "He will be back soon."
The guy burst into a loud, mocking laugh that cut right through me. "Leaving you here in the wild night to go to another party? And you're standing here waiting?"
He shook his head, gave me one last pitying look, and walked away into the crowd.
I stood there alone, the laughter still ringing in my ears. I thought about saying yes to him. God, I actually thought about it. Not because I wanted the guy, but because at home, the bed was cold. Because the person I was supposed to come home to had left me there so many times before. He’d go out with his boys. He’d say he’d be back. He never said when. He posted nothing on his status, called nothing, gave no updates. Just gone into the night, leaving me to hold down an empty room.
And that’s the thing people don't get about loyalty. Once a good boy goes bad, he’s gone forever. You can’t call him back with tears. You can’t pray him back into compliance. You can’t love him back into the sweet, patient person he used to be. The very moment you leave him alone long enough to learn how to survive without you, he accidentally learns how to live without you, too.
I wasn’t raised like this. I am not a bad person. But when you keep showing a person that they are entirely on their own, they eventually believe you. Efe kept choosing his boys, his endless nights, and his total freedom over me. So, I learned the rules of his game. I put on the clothes that drew eyes. I went to Enerhe. I opened myself up to the club. I let strangers offer me the tele. Not because I was looking for love - I knew love didn't live in these places - but because I was completely done waiting for the one person who was actually supposed to give it to me.
I didn’t go with that stranger that first night. But the fact that the thought even crossed my mind? That was on Efe. He left a good boy at home, and he was about to find out what happens when that boy finally breaks.
We don't bend. We just go. And we stay gone.
------------------------------
The very following night, Efe made the exact same mistake. Except this time, he actually brought me out to the club himself, only to abandon me the moment his crowd arrived. He bought drinks, handed them to me, and disappeared into the VIP section with his friends, leaving me at a table to get completely drunk on my own loneliness.
The alcohol was hitting me hard, making the lights blur into long, neon streaks. I was leaning against a pillar near the bar, trying to steady my spinning head, when a hand touched my shoulder.
"Chelsea?"
I blinked, trying to focus on the face in front of me. It took a few seconds for my brain to register who it was. Maxwell. Efe's best friend. The guy who was always around, always watching from the edges of our relationship.
"What are you doing here by yourself?" Maxwell asked, his brow furrowed as he looked around the noisy room. "Where is Efe?"
"He had another party to attend," I slurred, my voice thick with the alcohol.
Maxwell frowned, his grip tightening slightly on my arm to keep me steady. "Why didn't you go along with him?"
"He said he would return soon," I whispered, repeating the same old script I had learned by heart. "He told me to stay here."
Maxwell let out a short, bitter breath. He didn't laugh like the stranger from the night before, but his eyes held a strange, dark intensity. For years, Maxwell had been trying to get my attention. He had dropped hints, made subtle moves, and looked at me in ways that made my skin flush. But I had rejected him every single time. I had turned a blind eye because I genuinely thought I was in love with Efe, and I foolishly believed Efe loved me too. My friends had warned me about him from the very start. They told me a guy known as the hottest guy in Warri would never belong to just one person. I thought their warnings were born out of pure jealousy because I was the one on his arm. I never knew they were just trying to save me from the wreck I was becoming.
"He's not coming back tonight, Chelsea," Maxwell said softly, his voice cutting through the alcohol fog in my brain. "Come with me. Let’s leave this place."
He didn't have to ask twice. Efe never returned, just like Maxwell knew he wouldn't. Instead of sitting there like a loyal dog waiting for scraps, I let his best friend lead me out of the club. Maxwell took me away with him, introducing me to a different circle, buying me food, and keeping a glass in my hand so I wouldn't have to think about the empty space beside me.
Right around 12:00 AM midnight, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out with unsteady fingers. It was a text from Efe.
“Omo babe I'm sorry, something came up with the boys that's why I'm late. But I'm at the club now. Where are you at?”
I stared at the glowing words on the screen. An hour ago, my heart would have leaped. I would have run back to him, apologizing for leaving. But looking at it now, surrounded by the loud music of a completely different venue, I felt absolutely nothing. The string had snapped.
I threw the phone face down onto the table. I was completely done. He wanted to find out where I was? He could ask the empty table he left me at. I was gone, and I was gone with his best friend.
------------------------------
By the time we got to Maxwell's place, the anger had turned into a cold, sharp clarity. Maxwell didn't leave me in the corner of the room to go hang out with other girls and guys like Efe always did. He brought me food, made sure I drank water to clear the alcohol, and actually looked at me when I spoke.
When he finally led me into his bedroom, it wasn't about a transaction at a cheap tele. He climbed onto the bed beside me, and for the first time in a very long time, I didn't feel like an afterthought. He made me feel the way a real partner is supposed to make you feel - valued, seen, and completely consumed. He satisfied a hunger in me that Efe had spent months starving. It wasn't just about the physical act; it was the fact that someone was finally paying attention to the boy who had spent all his time taking care of everyone else.
As the early morning light started to filter through Maxwell’s window blinds, reflecting off the clean sheets, I felt a weight lift entirely off my chest.
I don't care what Efe thinks when he finally realizes what his absence cost him. I don't care about the broken unwritten rules of friendship between him and Maxwell. He broke the most important rule first: he forgot to value what was his.
I am done with you, Efe. Bye.
WattpadExcerpts#RomanticThriller#QueerRomance#DramaFiction#WarriChroniclesEmotional & Character Themes#WhenAGoodBoyGoesBad#BetrayalAndLoyalty#HeartbreakToRevenge#KnowingYourWorth#DoneWaitingLocation & Setting Focus#WarriNightlife#EnerheJunction#DeltaStateStories #ChelseaMayaJohnson #ChelseaMayaVictoryJohnson
Comments
Post a Comment