The Life of a Show Boy By Chelsea Maya Victory Johnson
The Life of a Show Boy
Chapter One
The night air at Enerhe Junction was cool for a Friday, but the street was already burning with energy. My friends and I stood by the roadside, our eyes scanning the headlights of every passing vehicle. We were waiting for customers with real money - the kind of clients who could pay what we were actually worth and handle exactly what we had to offer.
We were a mixed group of guys and girls, and you couldn't miss us even if you tried. My guys and babes all had their hair dyed in loud, vibrant colours, but I chose to stand out differently. I had my hair tinted a pristine, striking white. I stood there under the streetlights, casually chewing a piece of bubble gum, blowing and popping bubbles into the night air while we flagged down cars.
Then, around 10:03 pm, this young man walked up to our spot. Because he was on foot and didn't drive a car, my friends immediately lost interest. They waved him off, assuming he didn't have the funds to match our energy. Seeing their reaction, he turned and walked straight toward me.
"Are you going to wave me away too?" he asked, looking at me.
I looked him up and down. "Whether you have a car or not is none of my business," I told him bluntly. "I am strictly here for business."
A slow smile spread across his face. He said he liked my attitude, then gestured for me to follow him to a nearby bar so we could get some drinks and food first.
Before taking a step, I signaled to my squad that I was splitting. Sheba, one of my closest female besties, quickly stepped up and slipped a roll of condoms into my hand. She leaned in and warned me in a low voice to use protection. She reminded me about those broke Enerhe boys who would drain out a person's destiny with their joystick, only to hand over a miserable one thousand naira or, even worse, send a fake bank alert.
I nodded, reassuring her that I knew the game. "I will be careful," I told her. "Money for hand, back for ground."
With that, I walked away with the man, heading straight into a crowded club that was buzzing with music. Guys and girls were everywhere, partying, drinking, and eating. He led me to an empty table and asked me to sit down. As I settled into the chair, I could feel the heavy stares from some of the guys in the club, whispering and judging me because of my daring manner of dressing.
The man stood up, breaking my focus. He told me he was going to the counter to get us some drinks and food to eat before we headed out to the hotel.
So, I sat back against the chair, watching the crowded room and waiting for him to return.
To be continued...
Comments
Post a Comment