I Ran Into My Old Primary and Secondary Classmate By Chelsea Maya Johnson
I ran into one of my old bullies last weekend. It happened at a friend’s birthday party at Achievers, right here in Warri.
I didn’t recognize him at first. The bass from the speakers was heavy, the lounge was packed, and my mind was miles away. But he knew exactly who I was. He called out to me immediately over the music.
“Is that you?”
I squinted at him through the flashing strobe lights, tired and thoroughly confused. This guy was now way darker than he used to be back in the day. And I mean he was always a dark-skinned boy, but this time? It was like he had polished his skin with liquid obsidian and Kiwi shoe polish. His handsomeness had peaked for real. He looked like a Vogue model who had just stepped off a magazine shoot and accidentally wandered into a Delta State lounge.
I stammered an apology. “Sorry, I couldn’t recognize you.”
And just like that, his face fell. He looked genuinely hurt. “I don’t believe you forgot me so soon.”
Come on, man. We’re talking fifteen long years here. Specifically, Primary 5 and 6 at Ekete Inland Primary School in Warri, right before our common entrance exams.
Then, suddenly, it clicked. It was Emmanuel.
A sudden wave of joy washed over me. I was so happy to see him. As we started catching up, he told me about his life now - he is married, living in Dubai with his wife and two kids, and had only come down to Nigeria to check on a real estate project he was running in Warri.
The very first thing he said to me after the shock wore off was, “You didn’t change at all. The only difference is you’re a bit more masculine now compared to back then.”
I just laughed. And right there, he pulled me in for a tight hug. It wasn't a standard, quick bro-hug either. It held on. It lasted much longer than it should have, carrying the heavy weight of old days.
When he finally let go, he told me he’d been looking for me for years. He had asked our old classmates for my phone number, my Facebook, or any social media handle he could find, but no one knew anything. Cause I was a total bad bitch on social media with my flash hot boy vibes and contents, I muttered, smiling at the memory of how I had vanished from everyone's radar.
We spoke for a long time, catching up on fifteen years of missing pieces, and exchanged numbers. “I don’t want to lose you anymore,” he said, looking directly at me.
But right before we parted ways, he asked me one specific question that completely shook me.
“How’s your boyfriend?”
I froze. My throat went completely dry. I didn’t answer him; I just forced a loud laugh to brush it off as a joke. Thankfully, he didn’t push further, but that question stayed locked in my mind.
The truth is, there is a memory from Ekete that I can never forget. Back then, Emmanuel was the one who trolled me the most. He picked on me ruthlessly for being feminine, and for choosing to spend my break times chatting with the girls on the school veranda instead of running around playing football with the other boys.
It got to a point where my seatmate Ojonuwa, my Kogi friend, noticed the pattern and pulled me aside to warn me: “Be careful with Emmanuel. He’s acting weird around you.”
And then it actually happened. Right there in our crowded classroom during a chaotic afternoon break, he lunged at me and gave me a deep, forceful kiss. It came entirely from the boy who had spent years making my life a living hell just because I was close to girls. I was far too young to understand the complex, confusing machinery of human emotion back then. All I knew was a profound, suffocating confusion that lasted for years.
Seeing a photo recently of two grown men standing close by the water, completely unashamed of who they are - that is exactly what the Primary 5 version of me needed to see. It is proof that you can survive the daily trolling. You can grow beautifully into your own skin. The water doesn’t have to drown you; it can eventually teach you how to float.
Yet, even with all my growth, that question is still sitting heavily in my chest: “How’s your boyfriend?”
Fifteen years later. Married. Two kids. Living in Dubai.
So tell me, to everyone reading this blog… Do you think he could still be liking me like the old days? Or was it just pure nostalgia? Just a lingering hug that happened to last a little too long?
I wrote my book, Water Boy, for moments exactly like this. I wrote it to break the heavy silence of being different in a place that rarely makes room for it. It is dedicated to the boys who were picked on in the schoolyards, and to the boys who did the picking. Back then, in those dusty classrooms, we were all just trying to figure it out.
Drop your thoughts in the comments below. Has anyone from your past ever come back and shook your world like this?
#WaterBoyBook #EketeMemories #GrowingUpDifferent #AchieversWarri #IsokoStories #Healing
Comments
Post a Comment